While working on some customer projects you may want to send them some weekly builds so they can gauge the progress of the software. The Windows Phone 7 developer tools comes with a great utility called “Application Deployment” and allows you to deploy a XAP file to either a real device or the emulator.
Your application XAP file you will find under Bin\Release or Bin\Debug directory. The XAP file is basically a ZIP file that contains all your assemblies for your software to run.
Here are the steps to get that going
- Install the Windows Phone 7 Developer tools
- Once Installed click on the Start Menu –> All Programs –> Windows Phone Developer Tool
- Click on Application Deployment which will bring up the following
- Select the target (either Device or Emulator)
- Point to the XAP file you want to deploy
- Click Deploy!
Couple of Notes when using a real device:
- Connect it to your dev machine
- Make sure the Zune software detects it
For more details check out the Windows Phone 7 Application Deployment Tool documentation on MSDN.